Friday, May 15, 2009

R.I.P.

So I think the tomatoes are destined for the compost bin.



I am not really sure what happened. I think my over watering started it, but I can't imagine that that was the only cause for the death of all of the window box romas and just about all of the silver firs. Mom started some window box romas and said she will bring a few of her extras, but I guess I will have to find a nursery that hopefully has determinate plants. I guess I have my work cut out for me for next year!



In slightly better news, my peppers are not beautiful, but they all seem like they are going to survive. I need to give them another dose of fish emulsion. Now fish emulsion is a pleasant smell... kind of like an outdoor fish market on a hot day. Luckily once it dries most of the smell goes away. I'll have to look to see what all is in it and will report back later. I do know it is supposed to be good quality food for plants.



My basil is doing quite well. A few have wilted or not really taken off, but I guess since the packet does give less than a 100% germination rate, I guess since just about all the seeds I planted turned into plants, only loosing a few before they make it into the ground is still a fairly acceptable result.

I am kind of disappointed at the size of all of my seedlings. Next year the flowers are going in much earlier so I can have flowers out before the neighbors. The tomatoes and peppers will also be going in earlier and I will be monitoring temperature, light and nutrients more carefully. For a first true try I think I had acceptable results. And we will be eating a LOT of pesto this summer...




No comments: