Sunday, February 6, 2011

Mums

Hello old friends! Hadn't realized how long it had been since I posted. I will try to be better this year!


There is STILL snow on the ground from the 14" we received almost 2 weeks ago, but the sun is shinning, the temperature is near 40 and one can almost feel the first hint of spring in the air. I love snow, but I am happy to be seeing signs of spring.


My garden gave me a welcome sight this morning. Amongst the dead stems in the pot of mums by the front door were little green leaves! I got out my clippers and my compost bucket and cleared out all the old ugly dead stems to reveal the first growth of spring. Encouraged by this sight, I quickly went out to the yard to see if my other mums had fared so well. Lo and behold, buried under 6" of snow and ice, were lots of green leaves! I trimmed off all the dead wood, scraped off most of the snow and told the little plants to keep on growing. I have never gardened wearing my Welly rain boots due to the still deep layer of snow on the ground, but if the plants think spring is on its way, who am I to deny them!
Here's to a prosperous growing season!


No comments: