Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Roof Top Gardening

WOW! I can say that I can't think of anything that would make me happier about my first attempt at roof top gardening. Even the wimpiest tomato and pepper plants are strong and healthy. All the plants that were good sized when they went up have baby fruits on them (yes, they are both fruits, of course, many things that most people would call vegetables are fruits. It's all scientific terms vs. everyday language and fruit or vegetable can actually vary from culture to culture depending on how the produce is eaten- sweet vs. savory. Check out Wikipedia- or you could search a more technical site if you wish)

I know it is still kind of early in the season, but we also seem to have planned well for the roof. None of them have out grown the bird netting cage yet and the potting soil seems to be holding moisture well. I have only had to water twice! As it gets even warmer though I think I'll be watering every other day. This is a good time to talk about watering. DON'T OVER DO IT! Yes, plants need water, but if they are constantly sitting in water, or even in damp soil, they never put deep roots. No deep roots means they don't hold up well to wind, they don't have lots of little roots to pull nutrients out of the soil, and they are susceptible to more diseases since they never get really established.
YAY!! baby tomatoes basking in the setting sun! can't wait till those little buggers are ripe!

No comments: